This is the first outing for a new Imaging Source DMKAU618 camera I’ve just acquired. LRGB frames were captured at 30fps for 30 seconds, and the best 25% were used to construct the final image. I used my 8″ LX200R with 2.5x Powermate giving an effective focal length of 5 metres. The nearly full moon was close by, and the seeing was atrocious with the planet just 25° or so above the horizon.



A quick look last night at Saturn, about 30° above the horizon, but getting cought in some light pollution. Captured using the MN190 with x2 Barlow and Opticstar PL75C, and processed in Registax 6. A bit disappointing, really 🙁

A Quartet of Planets

Here, taken over the last couple of days, are some views of the four major planets that have been visible in the evening sky. All were taken through the MN190 with an Opticstar P75C and 2x Barlow. Mars, high in the sky, and Saturn, low down in the murk, were taken last night; Jupiter (with Ganymede close to the planet) and the inscrutable Venus were captured tonight, just after sunset.





Saturn and the Flame Nebula

It’s a beautiful night outside, so here’s another go at Saturn. This was taken using just a TouCam through the LX200R, without a Barlow of any sort. I’ve found it difficult to get a good image with a 2x Barlow in place – I just tend to end up with a big fuzzy blob.

Never mind. I also tried to grab a bit of the Flame Nebula before Orion sank behind the trees at the bottom of the garden. Unfortunately there’s only about 15 minutes exposure, and it definitely needs more.

Saturn in the mist

I had chance tonight for my first go of the season at Saturn. Up till now, the house has been getting in the way, so I’ve been biding my time… Although the evening started off fairly dark and clear, by the time I got everything set up it was starting to get a bit hazy, and I struggled to get anything like a decent image. This is the best I could come up with, so I’m looking forward to some dark, clear nights over the next couple of months to get something better!

8″ LX200R, ToUcam, captured with K3CCDTools, processed in Registax 4.